Rachel DeLoache Williams is an American writer, photographer, and editor with a net worth of $1.5 million. Born on January 29, 1988, Rachel DeLoache Williams is 35 years old.
She is a former employee of Vanity Fair and a New York Times best-selling author better known for being a former friend of con artist Anna Sorokin whose story was told in the TV show Inventing Anna (2022) by Netflix.
Rachel documented her encounter with Sorokin in the book – My Friend Anna: the True Story of the Fake Heiress of New York City. Proceeds from the book deal and the story’s adaptation to screen, among other endeavors, have allowed her to amass a net worth of $1.5 million.
Summary of Rachel DeLoache Williams’s Biography
- Full Name: Rachel DeLoache Williams
- Gender: Female
- Date of Birth: January 29, 1988
- Rachel DeLoache Williams’s Age: 35 years old
- Ethnicity: White
- Nationality: American
- Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
- Religion: Christian
- Marital Status: Single
- Rachel DeLoache Williams’s Parents: Joshua Williams (father)
- Rachel DeLoache Williams’s Height in Inches: 5 feet 6 inches
- Rachel DeLoache Williams’s Height in Centimetres: 167 cm
- Rachel DeLoache Williams’s Weight: 55kg (121 lbs)
- Rachel DeLoache Williams’s Net Worth: $1.5 million
- Famous for: Being a former friend of con artist Anna Sorokin
- Rachel DeLoache Williams’s Instagram: @rdwilliams
- Twitter: rachel_deloache
How Old is Rachel DeLoache Williams Now?
Rachel DeLoache Williams is 35 years old, as she was born on January 29, 1988. While she has spent a big chunk of her life in New York, she is originally from Knoxville, Tennessee. Details of her family are few and far between, although it is reported that her parents are clinical psychologists.
Her mother’s identity is unknown, but her father has been identified as Joshua Williams. In addition to his work as a clinical psychologist, he reportedly also once tried his hands in politics by running for Congress but was unsuccessful. Rachel is believed to be the only child of her parents, although she was raised alongside cousins and other members of her extended family.
She is a Graduate of Kenyon College
Rachel DeLoache Williams is believed to have received her early education in Knoxville before leaving home for the first time to attend college in Gambier, Ohio. She enrolled at Kenyon College sometime in the mid-2000s, and it was here that she completed the requirements to be awarded degrees in English and Studio Art in 2010.
What is Rachel DeLoache Williams’ Net Worth?
Rachel DeLoache Williams, a journalist-turned-author, reportedly has a net worth of $1.5 million. Her unique journey through a sensational friendship and its repercussions have contributed significantly to her current financial status.
Sources of Rachel DeLoache Williams’ Net Worth
Racheal Williams Worked For Vanity Fair
While she was a student, Rachel began making strides toward working in the fashion/media world. She interned for Art + Commerce, Harper’s Bazaar, and Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City.
Following the completion of her studies, she was employed by Vanity Fair. Ms. Wiliams worked as a photo editor and producer for the magazine. She assisted in and produced photoshoots for notable personalities like Rihanna and Caitlyn Jenner, among others.
Rachel remained an employee for Vanity Fair until 2019, when she was laid off. Other than the Conde Nast-owned magazine, she has worked as a writer and photographer.
The Inspiration that Contributed to Rachel DeLoache Williams’ Net Worth
Following her layoff from Vanity Fair, Rachel penned a memoir titled “My Friend Anna: The True Story of the Fake Heiress of New York City,” recounting her brief, yet impactful, friendship with Anna Delvey (real name Anna Sorokin). The book quickly hit the New York Times Bestseller list upon its release in July 2019, establishing Rachel as a successful author.
Rachel Williams and Anna Sorokin’s unique friendship and subsequent fallout were pivotal in Rachel’s rise to prominence and financial success. Sorokin, a fraudster and pretend heiress, had been operating under the pseudonym Anna Delvey.
Williams Became Famous After Writing About Her Experience with Anna Sorokin
Rachel DeLoache Williams first rose to prominence in 2018 when she published an article for Vanity Fair about her experience with Anna Sorokin, a Russian-born German con artist, fraudster, and socialite who pretended to be a wealthy heiress under the name Anna Delvey.
The article, titled As An Added Bonus, She Paid For Everything: My Bright-Lights Misadventure With A Magician of Manhattan, detailed her experiences with Anna, whom she helped the authorities track down and arrest. She also testified against her in court.
Rachel and Anna had first met each other in 2016 after they were introduced by mutual friends at a New York nightclub. They would go on to start a friendship that led to them attending many dinners and events together. The duo had, by 2017, created a deep friendship that propelled them to decide to vacation together.
While on vacation to La Mamounia in Marrakesh, Sorokin had issues with her credit card and was unable to pay. Using her personal and business credit cards, Rachel DeLoache Williams offered to pay the bill, which rose to about $62,000. Sorokin was said to have promised to return the money whenever her bank would allow her, but she ended up only paying back $5,000.
Enraged by this, Williams reported the incident to the New York City Police Department and the New York County District Attorney. She would go on to play an active role in helping the police track Sorokin down in Los Angeles.
Following the trial, Sorokin was found guilty of multiple offenses, including defrauding major U.S. financial institutions, banks, and hotels. She was, however, not found guilty of stealing from Williams. Nevertheless, Rachel’s credit card company ended up forgiving a majority of the debt.
She Also Published a Book About Her Experience
After writing the article that brought her fame in 2018, Rachel DeLoache Williams published a book in 2019 on the same topic. The book was published by Simon & Schuster. She has since then gone on to write more stories about her experiences for Time and Air Mail.
In 2022, Williams was one of the guests on Red Table Talk, where she threw more light on her experience. She was interviewed by the show’s hosts, Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow Smith, and Adrienne Banfield-Norris, on the episode titled Tinder Swindler and Anna Delvey Victims: What You Haven’t Heard.
Rachel DeLoache Williams’ Net Worth: How Much Did She Make From Her Book Deal
Rachel DeLoache Williams is estimated to have a net worth of about $1.5 million. She made this money from her work over the years as a writer, editor, and photographer. However, the bulk of the money came from what she earned from her book deal with Simon & Schuster. She was reportedly paid $300,000 by the American publishing company.
Williams received $1,300 for her Vanity Fair magazine article and $35,000 from a deal she had with HBO. She is not known to have received any money from Netflix or Shonda Rhimes, who created the Inventing Anna drama miniseries that brought Anna Sorokin’s story to worldwide attention. The show was instead inspired by a New York article by Jessica Pressler titled How Anna Delvey Tricked New York’s Party People.
Summary of Contributors to Rachael DeLoache Williams’ Net Worth
- Career at Vanity Fair: While the exact salary she earned at Vanity Fair isn’t public, her work as a photo editor likely contributed to her initial earnings.
- Book Earnings: Her memoir, “My Friend Anna: The True Story of the Fake Heiress of New York City”, was a financial success. It hit the New York Times Bestseller list upon its release, and the book deal with Simon & Schuster earned her a significant $300,000.
- Freelance Work: Post Vanity Fair, Rachel established herself as a freelance photographer, producer, and creative consultant. While the exact income from this isn’t known, it serves as an ongoing source of revenue.
- Writing for Publications: Rachel has been writing for Time and Air Mail. Payments from these high-profile publications likely contribute to her net worth.
- Netflix Documentary: Rachel’s story was adapted into a Netflix documentary, “Inventing Anna”. She likely received a significant amount of money through commissions or rights payments.
- Interviews and Appearances: Rachel was invited to appear on shows like “Red Table Talk”, where she discussed her experiences. It’s possible that she was paid for these appearances.
- Social Media Endorsements: Her social media activity reveals that she endorses events, hotels, and products, for which she is likely paid a fee or commission.
- Vanity Fair Article: Her famous Vanity Fair article detailing her experience with Anna Sorokin, was another contributor to her earnings. She was paid $1,300 by Vanity Fair for this.
Is Rachael DeLoache Williams Married, and Does She Have a Husband?
Rachael DeLoache Williams is not known to be in any relationship. If she is indeed seeing anyone, she has made sure to keep it private as there are no traces of her having a partner anywhere on the world wide web.