Human beings are faced with making a decision at different points in time and in everything they do. It is sometimes confusing to make a choice or come to a particular decision, however, this is not the case when one is armed with wisdom.
Wisdom is very profitable to the wise so in all you do, you must try and get it as it helps you make good choices and seldom make mistakes. While some might argue that wisdom comes with age, not every old person has proven to be wise. A young person can certainly become wise by studying the teachings of those that have lived a fulfilled life. Many of these people have popular quotes and sayings about a myriad of things, including life, that can prove to be a guide to you making better judgments.
What are Wise Sayings?
Wise sayings or quotes are often short and direct statements that express a general truth or fundamental principle about life. Despite having been said decades ago, these expressions continue to hold value and significance, passing down from generation to generation. They are meant to serve as a guide for greater happiness and fulfillment in life.
Below are a few wise sayings (inspirational, motivational, and funny) by both famous authors, celebrities, and scholars.
Famous Sayings About Life by Famous People
1. “And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln is simply trying to say that how long we live in this world does not matter. What matters the most is what we do with our lives while we are alive and what we leave behind when we are gone.
2. “Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.” – Soren Kierkegaard
A lot of people take life too seriously and as a result, are unable to enjoy the finer things that life has to offer.
3. “What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds.” – Wayne Dyer
The only thing stopping us from being great in life is our thinking and willingness to achieve what we want to achieve.
4. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw
Shaw is simply trying to say that life offers a myriad of choices for one to chart their own course instead of being carried by the wave.
5. “There is more to life than increasing its speed.” – Mahatma Gandhi
People are always keen to move on to the next great thing without fully appreciating where they are at the moment.
6. “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” – Confucius
We find ourselves worrying about inconsequential things like what kind of clothes we wear, cars we drive, the house we live in, etc. All of these things make life complicated when it isn’t supposed to be.
7. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” – Dalai Lama
Many think that the only way to help another person is to give them money. Gandhi explains that there is more that one can do to help their neighbor, and it all begins with having a good heart.
8. “Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.” – Lou Holtz
Most of all the things that happen to us in life is outside of our control no matter how much we think we can control the outcome.
9. “The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” – Scott Hamilton
Attitude is everything because there are many people without physical limitations or disabilities who have a bad attitude that causes them to miss out on some of life’s positive opportunities.
10. “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Another call for selflessness by activist Martin Luther King, Jr., which says that we should all be kind and compassionate to one another.
11. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them – that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” – Lao Tzu
When something that will elicit a negative response happens, try to rise above it because how you react is what determines your happiness, peace of mind, and well-being.
12. “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” – John F. Kennedy
Change is inevitable and no one can ignore it.
13. “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” – Albert Einstein
Einstein reiterates the fact that being able to help others is a clear indication of living a good life.
14. “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
Stepping on people to get ahead in life will definitely come back to bite you. Our focus should be on being kind and generous, offering skills, advice, and service to others. This will ensure that we live a fulfilled life.
15. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” – Maya Angelou
Through the only way she knows how to do it, Maya Angelou uses poetic words to encourage people to live their best lives.
16. “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” – Vince Lombardi
Regardless of social status, a fine line can be drawn from one’s commitment to excellence in their day-to-day life to them living a quality life.
17. “The secret of success is learning how to use pain and pleasure instead of having pain and pleasure use you. If you do that, you’re in control of your life. If you don’t, life controls you.” – Tony Robbins
If you are able to control external forces like pain and pleasure, things that try to control the actions of men, you will be able to have control of your life.
18. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” – Robert Frost
No matter what is going on in your life that seems to be the end of the world, Robert Frost wants to remind you that life always goes on.
19. “If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.” – Jim Rohn
It is imperative that everyone concentrates on being the best that they can be. If you leave your life to chances, you will most likely not live a fulfilled life.
20. “I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
The fear of failure has prompted many people to get comfortable with where they are in life. Michael Jordan encourages you not to give up like he never did on his journey to become a basketball great.
Old Wise Sayings
21. “You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.” – Gautama Buddha
The damage is already done when you get angry, and not for the consequences of your anger.
22. “I believe in only one thing, the power of human will.” – Joseph Stalin
Where there is a will, there is a way. Without determination and willpower, one cannot achieve their goals or succeed.
23. “The wisest men follow their own direction.” – Euripides
Trust the process and believe in yourself.
24. “Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.” – Gautama Buddha
The goal in life is to keep on growing and never getting content with what we have achieved.
25. “A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge.” – Thomas Carlyle
Without a heart that is full of love, we are unable to care for others.
26. “I am not what happened to me; I am what I choose to become.” – C.G. Jung
External forces will not be able to change your life’s path without your consent.
27. “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” – Lao Tzu
Knowledge and education are the keys to fighting poverty (hunger).
28. “Silence is often misinterpreted but never misquoted.” – Albert Einstein
Silence can convey a lot more than mere words can and then be misinterpreted, however, it can not be misquoted as something else.
29. “The only thing we can know is that we know nothing and that is the highest flight of human wisdom.” – Leo Tolstoy
Knowing and accepting that there is so much more to learn in life, no matter what we think we already know, is the best thing that can happen to a person.
30. “He who flees at the right time can fight again.” – Marcus Trentius Varro
It is never a bad decision to leave a difficult situation especially when you are unprepared.
Funny Wise Sayings
31. A kiss is a contraction of the mouth due to an enlargement of the heart.
32. Alimony is sometimes known as a bounty on the mutiny.
33. A lawyer is one who is summoned when a felon needs a friend.
34. A fool empties his head every time he opens his mouth.
35. A friend is one who knows all about you and loves you just the same.
36. All too often a clear conscience is merely the result of a bad memory.
37. A girl who is free for the evening could be very expensive.
38. A friend who is not in need could be a friend indeed.
39. A false friend and a shadow attend only when the sun shines.
40. A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
41. A first-grade teacher is one who knows how to make little things count.
42. A folk singer is a person who gets rich singing about how wonderful it is to be poor.
43. All too often you read the directions only to find out what you did wrong.
44. Almost invariably a successful man appears simple but is very wise.
45. A good salesman is one who convinces his wife she looks fat in a fur coat.
46. A good father who finds his son on the wrong track will provide switching facilities.
47. A gossip is one who has a sense of rumor.
48. A perfect example of minority rule is a baby in the house.
49. No human is rewarded for having brains, but only for using them.
50. You will find out you know very little about the world when a child begins to ask you questions.
51. A lot of happiness is overlooked because it doesn’t cost anything.
Many people equate riches and the perks that come with it as the main source of happiness in life, thus neglecting other things that are much more important.
52. A diplomat is one who can bring home the bacon without spilling the beans.
You do not have to reveal secrets/sensitive information about yourself before you are able to attract good things.
53. A dog has many friends because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
You can trust a dog with your secrets better than you can trust a gossiping friend.
54. A good reputation is precious, but a good character is priceless.
Your reputation can pull people to you, but a bad character can chase them away.
55. A good idea that is shared with others will live forever.
Two good heads are better than one.
56. A shady business never results in a sunny life.
Nothing comes easy. You have to work hard to enjoy the finer things of life.
57. The character of a man is measured by what he would do if he knew he would not be found out.
What you do when no one is looking is what can be used to measure your character.
58. Men often show their worst side to their better half.
Spouses and partners are usually the only ones to see both the good and bad sides of their significant other.
59. Deal with the faults of others as gently as your own.
Treat others the same way you would treat yourself, or want them to treat you.
60. The riches of the heart can never be stolen.
Ordinary riches in the form of gold and money can be stolen, but the riches of the heart and soul that include kindness, good character, etc can never be taken from you.
What is the Difference Between a Saying and a Proverb?
For all intents and purposes, a wise saying and a proverb are characteristically the same thing, although you would not be wrong if you said a proverb was a type of saying along with adage, maxim, and aphorisms.
For the intent of a definition, a saying is something that was said in the past that has since become popular, often repeated in the daily life of common people. A Proverb, on the other hand, is a morally instructive statement that contains a lesson or a piece of advice. With this definition, an old wise saying could later become interchangeable with the term proverb.